Friday, April 8, 2011

The Edge Chronicles

book cover of 
The Curse of the Gloamglozer 
 (Edge Chronicles, book 4)
by
Chris Riddell and 
Paul StewartI was out of things to read over spring break, so I thought I'd try this series. I had read another series by the same author/illustrator team, the Far-Flung Adventures, which I had loved, so I thought I would see if this one was just as good. It was better. The story is set in a world called the Edge, where many different creatures and beings dwell along-side each other, though not always peacefully. There are ten books in this series, but they are not in chronological order. To get the most out of the series, I recommend you read them in this order: 4, 8, 9, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10. The reason for this is that the books cover different time frames, focusing on different people. Installments 4, 8, and 9 are about Quint, son of a sky-pirate. Books 1, 2, and 3 tell the tale of Twig, an orphaned boy who was brought up by wood trolls. Rook is a brave librarian knight whose adventures are recorded in books 5, 6, and 7. Book 10 stands by itself, set years into the future. This series was wonderful, and I particularly enjoyed the rich vocabulary and the amazing illustrations. This is a series well worth your time. I recommend this series for ages 10 and up. Author: Paul Stewart. Illustrator: Chris Riddell. Release date: 1998 On a scale of 1 being not so good, and 10 being the very best series I've ever read, I rate this series a 6. Check out the website at: www.randomhouse.com/kids/edgechronicles/ Don't stray from the path!

1 comment: